Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Do you believe in magic?

When it comes to lace knitting you won't see anything more beautiful happen just by soaking your knitting in cool water and wool wash for 5 minutes.

But the real magic is in the blocking. What's blocking? Well once you gently squeeze out the water and roll it up in a towel to soak up more water ... you then lay it out on towels on a bed or a blocking board, stretch it out to size and pin it down in the appropriate areas and just let it dry.

This is knitting that you have just done on blind faith that it would bloom into something you and everyone else would really love. Something any person would love to receive as a gift ... if you're able to let it go that is.

So I've been working on a Jubilee Wrap since April and have finally finished it. I was knitting with the intention that it will be a Christmas gift for a very good friend. Now I can mention this only because she is 'computer illiterate' and will never see this post. [unless you tell her] [and I know you wouldn't do that now will you?]


And since she'll never see this post, I could change my mind about giving it away right? But would I? Well Christmas is still 5 months away and unless I hide it ...


But I did knit it with her in mind and her alone. So of course I'll give it to her. Yes of course! But don't hold me to it.

You want to see the finished wrap?
Project info
Jubilee Wrap
Jubilee by Norah Gaughan
Knitted

Modifications: One, I added loops of beads for a fringe.
Needle and yarn
US 7 - 4.5 mm

2 skeins = 874.0 yards (799.2m) [used most of it but had a handful ball left-over]

This is what you get when the magic is complete ...

IMG_2703

IMG_2700

But it looks good on me ... if I must say so myself.

IMG_2704
IMG_2719

Now I really must hide it away ...

before I change my mind!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks really nice! I love what the block did for the wrap.