Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Short Row Heel Saga!

Before I tell you how I made out with the short heel last night, I have to mention that if someone as talented and Knit Knowledgable as Knit and Tonic is can also be "sweating" over short row heel shocks then I can't shot myself in my Knitting Knogging for not getting this technique the first dozen tries, huh? Need I say more? Oh ya, here's the continuing saga of short rows ...

Purlwise has a good picture turtorial for short row heels, but I still couldn't get it right.

So Woolworks helped me the most with short row heel wraps as well as the heel on Knitty.com's Lickety Split sock which was pretty much the same instructions but set up different word wise. Hey, this technique is one that I had to stand on my head to understand. But I got it!

And here is the final result above. Yup, I said final ... I'm not doing it over AGAIN! Altho I have one tiny hole where the last wrap meets the sock foot. I'll "fudge" it if I have too ...

But guess what? I found an even better short heel ... check it out at OzYarn [which is closed, but I have the archived link] [from Kaity of All She Wants To Do Is Knit, who happened to comment at Knit & Tonic's] for the Easy Sock from OzYarn.com. I worked up a test with some worsted weight yarn & size 3 dpn's to get a good look at how it works. This is what I got ...


I love the way it looks and will use it for the next short heel sock after I finish the Tropicana.


Book alert!

Just don't have enough books in my home library, hey ... here's my new purchase: Oneskein by Leigh Radford and for light enjoyable reading, Patterns of Murder by Monica Ferris which is a 3 book in one package ... "Crewel World," "Framed in Lace," and "A Stitch in Time" ... I figure, if I like the first three, I'll buy the other 5.

I'll get back to you but I won't tell you "who done it!"


7 comments:

Rhonda said...

Thanks for the tip on the short heel. I don't reatlly like the one on Wendy Knits. I think it's too short. I'll have to try the OZ one. Also I've heard rave revues on the Widdershins socks on Knitty too.

aija said...

Yay for conquering the short row heel! :)

Kathy said...

Wow, that looks great, both the Tropicana socks short row and the new short row method you demonstrated! Bully for you for forging ahead!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Good job on sticking with the short row heels until you got it! That deserves a big pat on the back! After all the trouble people seem to have with this, I might just stick with the heel I know lol!

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Good for you - looks great. Can't wait to hear about the books.

Anonymous said...

Wah, I wrote such a long comment now and Blogger ate it! Argh! Anyways, I'm so happy to see that you managed the short row heel now, and let me tell you, it looks so perfectly fine! I do admire you for your patience and commitment to go through with this problem, I'm afraid I would have kicked my knitting into the next corner and wouldn't have looked at it anymore. But that's the way we knitters learn, often it's the hard way, and believe me, now this version of the short row heel will stick with you forever, you won't have any problems with it anymore!
Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhonda, Esther (pinkpurls.com) just turned me on to that same SR Heel pattern! I'm hoping to try it out soon! Love the colorful pink and multi socks! I'm beginning to wonder if I still remember how to knit anything else except socks! LOL!