Friday, July 06, 2007

I promised a finished object ...

And here it is!

The sweater jacket I made for my Mom is finally an FO. It's a Lily Chin pattern called "Knitted Garter Stitch Convertible Coat". The yarn is "Ocean" by Skacel. A boucle, woven yarn crafted of 61% cotton, 29% Tactel nylon, and 10% other synthetic. Soft. And just right for Florida's Winter months. I know it's a funky combination for colors, but hopefully Mom will like it anyway. Pink & Orange is my favorite combo and this yarn was bought a long time ago for something else that I've totally forgotten. Maybe once I received the yarn in the mail it just wasn't right for the project I had in mind. So I put it aside [well under the bed in storage really]. Ever have that happen? And then there's the fact that I like this jacket and the colors but can't really feel comfortable in the tactel nylon & synthetic fiber. I don't like the way it feels against my skin and it makes me hot. I think Mom will feel great in it and needs something warm but not as warm as wool or alpaca. I'm making another jacket in 100% cotton for me in a neutral color to go with everything.


I took it to Community Knitting Thursday and Kendra took these pictures for me and then Zoe modeled it for me so you can see the back. Zoe is the youngest knitter in our group. Isn't she a cutie!?

And speaking of FO's ... I finished the book I was deeply involved in this past week ... "Faeries of DreamDark: Blackbringer"
by Laini Taylor. A wonderful read! I enjoyed it right to the end. And by the way ... there's a Warrior Prince that knits in the story. I didn't know that until after I bought the book so don't breath a word to my DH. He already accuses me of buying only books that refer to knitting somewhere in them. [and that's only partially true, LOL.]

Any avid reader, 11 years old and up, will probably enjoy this book. Especially if you like science fiction or fantasy, like Harry Potter. I don't want to give anything away in the story so I'll just quote the inside jacket cover to give you an idea of what the story is about.

"Magpie Windwitch, granddaughter of the West Wind, is not like other faeries. While most of her kind live in tranquil seclusion deep in thier forests, escaped devils are creeping back into the world after millennia of imprisonment, and Magpie is all that stands in their way. With her faithful clan of crows, she travels the world hunting the bloodthirsty snags down, just as her hero, the legendary Bellatrix, did twenty-five thousand years ago.

When the ancient evil of the Blackbringer is loosed from its prison, Magpie may be in over her head. This hunt will take her back to the great forest of Dreamdark, a place of legends and Djinn, cunning imps and tattooed warriors, where she must unravel the mystery of the greatest enemy her folk have ever known. Will the determination of one small faerie be enough to defeat the impenetrable darkness that threatens to unmake the world? "

Well my break is over. Back to my Mystery Stole 3 WIP,
inspite of "lace stress' ... yo, knit 2 tog, knit, uh uh uh ... then TINK two rows ...

No comments: